Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Tragic Moments (Memphis!)

The unsolved murder of Taylor Bradford was a shocking wake-up call. When I first heard the deaf of his murder on campus it stunned me because Sunday night I rode through I seen camera crews packing up about 1:30 a.m. Not thinking the unexpected of a murder just thinking the University of Memphis was just having an activity I didn’t know of. For me being a student I feel my life is at jeopardy because I feel if I’m staying on campus my life should be half-way protected by the law. I feel if we are harassed by police and watched all day then police should do the same to those who look up to no good.
For some strange reason in my eyes, it seems as if every Sunday an athlete from the University of Memphis gets killed. Besides all of this I feel like being at home with nothing to do. With the murdering, the robbing, and assault happening up here on campus only makes it harder for me to stay on campus. This is something that I really want to do and my mother and grandmother is not going to recommend me to be up here if tragic moment like Sunday keep going on. I feel that the safety we as a whole paid for is not going as planned. The police that be on duty don’t be around to see crime. When I see our on-campus police I see atleast two of them; one closest by the railroad tracks and the other closest by Vernans and Desoto. So to keep random killings like these down.

I feel that the police that are hired for the school should actually walk around so some of the crimes can be prevented from happening. Its hurts me to hear that someone has lost a loved one while trying to make something of himself. I think that is a big lost because knowing now parents see that school really isn’t a safe place. It’s even worst when a person is trying to make something of themselves and someone that isn’t half of what they see come and take it all away all out of being jealous. Which is hateful when I feel they can do the same and leave peoples’ lives out of it. It affect me highly that now the public and, now the school systems see how us teenager live when we are forced to go to school. And they think a place like school will keep us out of trouble it won’t. Whether the city of Memphis know it or not it only makes it worst because we be around our real enemies everyday and it only put all the students as a whole in danger.
Personally, there is nothing I feel I can do about anything that goes on in the city of Memphis. If the governors and mayors aren’t in control there is not way the people in it can make it any better. The only way is to connect as a whole and put effort in to stopping crime and trying to get people to stay away from violence ways. Another way is to talk to the mayor that is being elected and see what possible solutions he or she has to suggest. And try to convince more safety patrol around the city of Memphis and make a stretch into an 24/7 watch service

No comments: